It seems that everyone is talking about the Zika virus. Yes, this is another virus that is spread by mosquitoes and can cause illness and other issues for those that are infected. It sounds scary and with the way it is all over the news, it probably seems as if you will get Zika with your very first mosquito bite of the season. I’m going to go over some of the basic facts about Zika in the hopes of giving you some piece of mind. Because as we all know – Knowledge Is Power!
1. HOW DO YOU GET IT? – Zika is spread through the bite of an infected mosquito
2. WHERE DID IT COME FROM? – Confirmed to cause human disease in 1968 it was mainly found in Africa, India and Southeast Asia. More recently it has spread and there have now been confirmed cases in Indiana, Illinois, Florida, Texas and New York. However, those infected got the disease while traveling to infected countries.
3. WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS? – In most cases there are no symptoms. In those that do develop symptoms you will have several days of mild headache, fever, rash and joint pain.
4. IS THERE A TREATMENT? – At this time there is no treatment or vaccine. If you are infected and have symptoms you should get plenty of rest, stay hydrated and take acetaminophen for any pain.
5. WHAT ABOUT BIRTH DEFECTS? – Little is known this time about the possibility of birth defects caused by Zika. It is thought that if a mother is infected near the time of delivery she can pass on the virus to her newborn, but this is rare.
6. HOW CAN I PROTECT MYSELF AND MY FAMILY? – Use an effective insect repellent with a minimum of 20% DEET. If you will be outside for a long period of time, wear lightweight loose fitting clothing with long pants and long sleeves.
The type of mosquito that carries the Zika virus is a daytime biter. Be sure to take EXTRA precautions during the day. Also, help combat the mosquito population around your yard. Remove any standing water and keep windows and doors screened.
If you find that you are unable to spend time in your yard this summer because mosquitoes are biting, call Rapid Pest Solutions. We have a Mosquito Reduction Program that will let you TAKE YOUR YARD BACK! Contact us for details!