Happy Thanksgiving!

Give Thanks For All You Have

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and many feel this is the kickoff to the holiday season. When thinking of Thanksgiving dinner most people picture a big meal with turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn and cranberry sauce, maybe a little green bean casserole. Then some pumpkin pie for dessert. Sounds delicious and you can’t go wrong with these classics. But what if you’re looking for something different? Do you want to be known for a having the most quirky Thanksgiving meal? If you’re the more adventurous type and you’re feeling very brave you can try some of the suggestions below. As for myself, I’ll stick with the turkey.

  • Mealworm Stuffing
  • Roasted Crickets (tastes like sunflower seeds)
  • Waxworm Cranberry Sauce
  • Deep Fried Dragonflies (tastes like soft shell crab)
  • Chocolate Covered Ants

grasshopper mouth

Many people think that eating insects is actually very good for you. They contain a lot of protein and iron. When adding insects to a recipe you want about 25% to be insects and the other 75% to be made up of traditional ingredients.  Any more than this and it could be quite a shock to the taste buds. Also, you want the insects to blend in and add an essence of flavor. Many are considered to have a nutty taste. Chomping on a mouthful of cricket could prove hard to chew because of their exoskeleton.

Maybe Thanksgiving Day isn’t the time to try out your insect cooking skills. For great recipes any time of the year check out one the many handy-dandy cook books available on Amazon.


Thanksgiving is a time to be grateful. For instance, I am grateful that I will not be eating bugs tomorrow. Or any other time if I can help it. What are you thankful for?