Holiday Madness is upon us. Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away and from there we dive head first into Christmas. The cooking, baking, parties and shopping can be overwhelming. You know what else can be overwhelming? Bed Bugs. If you’re traveling for the holiday or having company stay at your place, you are at risk! This does not mean you should shutter the windows, bar the doors and hide. It just means that you need to be vigilant.
WHEN TRAVELING – Be aware of your surroundings. If you travel over the Holiday, make sure to fully inspect your room. You may benefit from a Bed Bug Inspection Kit. ($14.95)
- Put bags in the bathroom while you check the rest of the room.
- Most hotel headboards are attached to the wall. Use a flashlight to look behind them or lift them off the mountings to take a peek at the back.
- Pull the bedding off the mattress and check around the edges and seams. Look for blood spots, black dots that look like pepper or skin casings.
- You will also want to check behind any paintings hanging in the room, the bedside tables, drawers, in the seams of curtains and the any other furniture that is in the room.
- If you find evidence of Bed Bugs notify the front desk immediately. The hotel should have no problem giving you another room. Request one that is two floors away from the original room.
HOUSE GUESTS – Remember that having Bed Bugs is in no way a sanitation issue. Anyone can get them, they are picked up along the way and dropped off the same way. If you have guests staying with you over the Holidays you may want to take some precautions after they leave.
- Inspection is key. Using a strong flashlight look around the bed. Check end tables, dressers and other furniture.
- Remove any bedding and run it through the wash as soon as your guests have gone.
- Vacuum the area around the bed and furniture.
- Keep your eyes open for any live Bed Bugs as you straighten the room. If you notice any activity, contact a pest control professional.
So bring on the Holidays! Go see Gram and Pa over in Ohio or let Aunt Martha and Uncle Lou stay with you this time. Spend the holidays with those you love – no worries!
If you find that Bed Bugs have made their way into your life call Rapid Pest Solutions.